Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Life sure is busy *Smiles*


*Whistles* A lot sure has happened since the last time I posted...I'm definately staying busy as Miss Deaf NC and still being a college student:) I doubt time will slow down any so enjoy reading about my hectic but fun life!


Last week Monday Feb 18 was my 21st birthday:) I got a cute bird for my birthday and I named her Sky. She was from my boyfriend and then my best friend included toys and food n such:) it was a good surprise:)


Tues Feb 19 I went and spoke to Crest High School about My experience and allowed them to ask questions...here is the newspaper article about that event:

From the newsroom of The Star, Shelby, North Carolina, Tuesday, February 19, 2008 ..... Miss Deaf N.C. speaks to Crest High Students by Cherish Wilson SHELBY — Many take day-to-day communication for granted. For those without the ability to hear, it's vital. Gardner-Webb student Carole Ed wards was recently voted Miss Deaf N.C., and as part of her duties, she has been speaking to area schools. For some students, Edwards is their first exposure to deafness and American Sign Language. Presenting to students at Crest High School Tuesday, Edwards opened the floor for questions. And there were plenty of them. Everyday activities were at the top of the list. Q: How does she know if someone is knocking on the door? A: Her doorbell is connected to her lights. They flash when someone is at the door. Q: How does she wake up in the morning? A: She has an alarm clock that goes under her pillow and vibrates when it's time to get up. Q: Does she have a driver's license? A: Yes, since she was 16. Edwards said that she answers each question as if it were the most normal thing in the world to ask. “It's important for people to see that we're the same, really,” Edwards said. “At the end of a presentation I want them to know more about what it means to be deaf and the way things are done.” Recently, she spoke to second-graders at Township Three Elementary. “They asked some great questions,” she said. “One asked, 'Have you ever been to Myrtle Beach?'” For her, getting out and presenting to groups is one of the most exciting aspects of being Miss Deaf N.C.


Things after that was crazy trying to get ready for the Deaf Expo in Greensboro. It was a fun event and I met soooo many new people. I met the former and current Miss Deaf Virginia and then I met so many people that support me and all that I will be doing as Miss Deaf North Carolina. Please continue to pray for support and that money will be raised in time for the Summer Pageant in New Orleans!


I went home after the expo and spent time with my family and Brett before my missions trip upcoming. Mom accidently messed up her knee and so we helped take care of her and then celebrated my birthday as a family:) I miss being around my family all the time but I'm glad that they are who they are because without them I wouldn't be where I am today. Thanks Mom, Dad, Meredith, and Patrick (and the extended family ofc!). I love how my family totally accepts Brett as we've been dating for 2 1/2 years and I know they have accepted my Identity as Deaf now that I've chosen that Identity for myself.


This weekend I leave for El Salvador, a Deaf missions trip with my school. I'm very excited but I know it will be a long and trying week for me next week. I hope to impact many of the deaf kids there and that they will allow my team and I to help them out as they learn about Jesus and more about their language. Thats right, we're going to help them learn signs related to their culture:) I'm excited about that because it will be a totally new learning experience for me:)


I love you all! Please pray for safe travels and that everyone is touched in one way or another. Pray that God will keep us safe from evil, sickness and harm. I look forward to updating ya'll upon my return to the States March 9th. God Bless \m/ (ily)

No comments: