Sunday, February 17, 2008

Deaf Awareness Week!!!

Hey Everyone:)

Hope you're doing well! I just finished up a majority of GWU Deaf Awareness Week! It was super busy and our LAST event is tonight:) I wanted to catch up on old news so that I can tell you new news:)

Monday Feb 11 we had Bible study! it was a blast even though our speaker couldn't come because he was sick. Kevin Clark was supposed to run it for us but thats okay we know he'll come again! I'll post pictures in a separate blog for all to see what happened during DAW.

Tuesday Feb 12 we had Silent Movie night. that was awesome as we had a huge turnout and everyone enjoyed the movie! Some people had never used captions/subtitles with movies before but others have and that was awesome to expose people to the deaf way of watching movies.

Wednesday Feb 13 we had Skate Night at Kate's Skating rink in Shelby. They had private party selection for us. We're sad that NCSD couldn't join us this year as there was conflict on campus. It was a small group but those who showed up had fun:)

Thursday Feb 14-*VALENTINES DAY* I got sick very bad this day. Most of the day was spent in bed with a high fever. My duties as President were put aside and my wonderful VP, Secretary, and Treasurer did a wonderful job taking over for me:) They had ice cream social/game night! as they were telling me about it I was laughing and crying it was so funny. "The Wrapping paper game"- Bob Moore and Renee Warren were the lovely models. the 2 teams had to wrap their person and see who was the best wrapped present! Bob Moore won! Then they played variety of other games such as "Make your own Lemonade"- take a lemon, sugar and water and make lemonade in your mouth without making facial expressions! "Dig for M&Ms"- two teams raced to find 2 M&M's per person using their mouth only from a pie of whipped cream. "Eat a Banana through a Hose"- people had to put a hose on their face and eat a banana through that without making a hole in the Hose and biting on the banana through the hose! haha that sounded so funny I wish I could have seen!

Friday Feb 15- Deaf Performance Night!!! That was a huge Success and thanks to all who came out! We did a variety of Deaf Jokes, Skits, signed songs, etc. At the end we had our famous Fashion Show! Our new King and Queen of this year is Sumo Wrestler Kanishiki (aka Renee Warren) and Parrish Walsburger in her next life (aka Bob Moore)! It was a huge hit:) Thanks to all who made it possible!

Saturday Feb 16-Mall Awareness Day and Silent Dinner- By the end of the week we're all getting tired and definately ready to have some rest time. However this was a fun event as we were able to sit at the mall and answer questions anyone had and then go enjoy wonderful food at applebees. I was sad to miss Silent Dinner as I had a Miss Deaf NC event at Charlotte CPCC Valentine's Gala! It was great event and I'm glad I got to be a part of it!

Sunday Feb 17-Joyful Hands Performance...Joyful hands will lead the show tonight at Flint Hill Baptist Church from 6-7 and that will end our DAW for 2008! Hope to see more of you next year!!!

No comments: